Thursday, December 11, 2008

Oh Christmas don't be late...

I had dinner with Brennan Manning last year and he talk about Christmas he said, "I love Christmas, I love everything about Christmas. I even love the commercialization of Christmas!" I was a bit taken back by this because I thought for sure this man out of all men would be anti commercialization of Christmas. so I asked him what he meant. "I love plastic Santa’s, and long lines at the mall, traffic jams and little twinkling lights, they all are here because Jesus came." there is nothing to fear from the commercialization of Christmas because bottom line its all because of Jesus. If he was not born of a woman, sought after by wise man, and did the unthinkable of a deity wrapping himself in flash and blood then Christmas would not be here.

I think about Paul when he walks into a city and says...you have a lot of idols here I see your very religious, he doesn’t tear them down and say hey stupid heads you have this all wrong your going to burn for this...he says kudos to you. You know how to worship I see you even have a statue to an unknown God I would like to tell you about that unknown god and make him known to you....why would we do anything different? why would we not turn to the world and say Kudos to you, you know how to celebrate Christmas, let me tell you about why Christmas exists. Let me tell you of the beautiful boy that grew to a savior king.

don’t fear. embrace.

No comments: