Friday, January 2, 2009

A beautiful truth

I spent this Christmas in Arizona with my family, nothing like Christmas with cactuses! My dad and mom moved there a little over a year ago and are pastoring a church of retired people ranging in age from late 50's to late 90's and my mom directed them in there Christmas pageant this year...amazing! Little did I know that the virgin Mary was 73 years old! it was a beautiful display of confidence and joy and love. After the performance people came up to meet the pastors young kids from California and one lady in particular spoke something that has been ringing in my head sense that night. her name was Patricia and she is a spicy old black woman who has seen a lot in life. She began the conversation by talking about how much she loved my parents and how much she appreciated them and then turned to remind me i needed to appreciate them to. Patricia had lost her parents and her husbands parents quite a while ago, but there still is a longing to be with them just for a cup of tea and conversation or a simple hug and she said "Lord, child you gotta love and cherish your parents! you never know when there gonna breathe there last and you gotta cherish em! Why, there the best thing to happen to you next to Jesus!"

I was reminded of what a gift my parents are and what really matters in this life is not things. not money. not retirement packages. not vacations. not how long we have. but relationships are the greatest gift and the highest treasure in this life.

thanks Patricia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And thank you sweet JT for passing that on! Love ya!