Monday, March 30, 2009

Surf Camp


We took a group from the Elevate Community to Moro Bay this weekend for a Surf Camp. It was totally refreshing and invigorating to be next to the ocean and sleep on rocks and sticks and smell of campfire smoke and eating trail mix and getting to know people you see every week a little bit better.

Saturday we went surfing all day...it didn't start well for me, well it started better for me then it did Tommy. Tommy Got his big toe toenail ripped of by his surf board. No Bueno! i didn't have that happen, but I also didn't see the ocean form a top my surf board either. mostly i saw it from underneath it. Finally after lunch i went out with determination and finally road a wave and then another and another and another for the rest of the day i wondered what was so hard about this before. There was a moment when it was just me out on my board no one else around but me and the waves and sore arms and looking out i saw these huge blue waves role in and i thought to myself...i could get sucked under by one of these things and i could do nothing about it. You don't tell the ocean when to let you go or when to be let up for air...it tells you when its done with you. The power of this thing made me sit in wonder of the Lord, the unknown power that rest in his will i know little about. The God who created this rolling ocean of power also raised men from the dead and conquered death itself with one fatal swoop. I said i was sorry out loud for the times in my life where i doubt that God can do something or he is even knowledgeable on how to get a job done. When we submit to the authority of Jesus Christ we don't get to tell Him when to slow down or when to let us up for air...we just trust He knows what He's doing and allow Him to sweep us away. Scary. True Adventure. Better then finally standing on top of my ten dollar surf board.

No comments: